Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Low Carb Recipes

I was going to do a feature on what makes something 'Mediterranean'. However, I am instead going low-carb. Does this mean diet food? No, it does not. I will never post 'diet' food. The most important reason is that eating healthy is impossible on a diet as you think of it. Diets destroy our faith in the foods we eat and our metabolisms. They give healthy eating a bad reputation.

As a matter of fact, my friend that requested low-carb had a comment on her facebook status from someone asking her to pass it on if it tastes good and is easy to make. The implication, just because she asked for low-carb, is that she expects healthy food to taste bad. Thank you, fad diets.

Here is the recipe I make most often during the summer. I make it specifically when I am cooking for a crowd because I know from past experience that they love it. Much raving has occurred in the course of eating this salad. Besides being low-carb, it is also low fat and low cholesterol. Not bad for something that tastes so good!

I have more, but we'll start with this because I've been madly doing artwork all day. It is now past midnight and I'm still up. This will do for now, I hope. Enjoy!

Mediterranean Pasta Salad

1/2 medium cucumber -- seeded and minced
1/2 red onion -- finely diced
1 plum tomato -- seeded and diced
1/4 cup kalamata olives -- sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- pressed; or more if needed (or less if you really don't like garlic!)
1 tsp italian seasoning
4 ounces feta cheese -- crumbled
6 ounces rotini -- prepared as directed and rinsed in cold water
(or other pasta of your choice. I also like fusili or penne.)
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- cooked, cooled, and diced

Mix all ingredients in a non-reactive bowl, and chill for at least two hours before serving.

Per Serving: 139 Calories; 6g Fat (39.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 200mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy :)

    And I totally agree about low carb! I have been doing low carb for YEARS before the fad diets, and I think that people just got stupid when the fad diets started it :) Back to basics and smart eating!!

    This may even help me stay motivated on my other sumer challege! Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! All of the recipes will be healthy, yet flavorful, so please keep reading! I will have another post ready by this evening...

    I'm glad to help others stay motivated with smart eating...I think it will help me stay motivated, too. Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite!

    Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete