Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The basics

I've been asked to have a cooking blog including recipes. So here it is. While you are going to be put off by the first few paragraphs if you like convenience over flavor, read on and I'll show you how easy it can be to make things from scratch.


Cookbooks and Recipes

I love cookbooks that have ethnic foods in them, particularly the reasonably authentic ones. However, if it has the ethnic flavor and the food is good, why not? Salad and vegetarian books grace my shelves, though I usually use vegetarian meals as side dishes. I have a lot of healthy cookbooks. Not diet, just healthy.


For novices, the Fanny Farmer is, in my opinion, the best starter cookbook. The Betty Crocker is okay, but lacks some old-time basics.


I do not enjoy 'hometown cooking' with a few exceptions like sweet corn during the summer. I don't buy casserole books because I generally only make a couple a year to make my husband happy.


Ingredients


First I'll cover the ingredients I won't use. There are a lot 'semi-homemade' ingredients I will not touch:

-Bisquick or other 'mixes' such as for cakes and muffins

-canned creamed soup

-boxed pasta/rice dinners. (to be fair, I've been known to use boxed pasta and rice dinners when I need to make a quick meal. Who doesn't? However, they are NOT ingredients and I will not use them as such.)

-Ketchup (it's a condiment, not an ingredient.)

-Jell-o (when I do make jell-o, I buy the gelatin and use juice.)

-bottled sauces ready to go, like sweet and sour, alfredo, et cetera.

-frozen bread dough

-Miracle Whip (I prefer mayonnaise and Chris won't eat either)

-canned vegetables (frozen is much better if you don't have fresh)

-Cool Whip (I couldn't even think of its name at first)

-A-1 sauce (it is too salty)


Now for the ingredients I do use.


I do use bottled spaghetti sauce, but it doesn't really resemble its original bottled self by the time I'm done. I've just never like canned tomato sauce that's plain for you to flavor and tomatoes you buy don't have enough flavor in the autumn and winter. I will also use canned diced tomatoes in the winter for a fully 'homemade' sauce.


I use lots of flavorful additions to my cooking. The staples in my pantry include just about every herb and spice available. I always have onions and garlic on hand. I buy ginger paste from the Indian store and most of the time it works in recipes, but if a recipe really needs fresh ginger, I try to have that on hand too. For fresh herbs, I consider parsley and cilantro my staples, but during the summer basil and mint are in there, too.


Different vinegars are very important, as is extra virgin olive oil and canola oil for the dishes that require an oil without much flavor of its own. Hot sauce is must for me, but I can understand if not everyone is interested in that. I know Minnesotans are bland. *wink*. Salsa and yogurt are also always in my house.


Hummus or at least Tahini and chickpeas in case I need to make some hummus. Vegetables of all kinds, so my meals are colorful. I have all sorts of different meats in the freezer, but if freshness is important for a big meal, I will go buy fresh anyway. Cans of tuna, chicken broth, beef broth, tomatoes, and different kinds of beans are always in my pantry as well as pasta and rice.


Condiments such as ketchup (as previously mentioned), mustard (which can be an ingredient, unlike ketchup), hot sauce for both Latin and Asian cooking, salt, pepper, Parmesan, BBQ sauce (also sometimes an ingredient), Heinz 57 (not an ingredient), Worcestershire Sauce (also sometimes an ingredient), and salad dressings (though for big salads that I am sharing with friends I make it homemade) are usually on hand.


Bananas are always in my fruit bowl but I think that has more to do with brain washing as a child than anything else; I was required to eat a banana every morning. I always have frozen berries of some kind in the freezer, too. Frozen coconut, also, because the stuff in the bag in the baking aisle has sugar, and I don't buy it for baking, I buy it for Indian food.


I also keep apple sauce on hand for baking; that way I can use less oil and sugar and my quick breads and cakes are still moist. Speaking of baking, I always have baking ingredients on hand, including different types of flour and yeast and the whole nine yards.


I think that is enough for this note...it at least gave you the basics. I will write another note about tonight's dinner.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting introduction - made me think about some of my own cooking habits. They're much like yours, my pantry of canned foods is nearly all canned tomatoes for making sauces (pasta and pizza) in the winter. I'll have to check out the ginger paste - our ginger always goes bad before we have time to use it all.

    I also have some frozen bread dough and frozen pizza crusts, but it's my own that I made from scratch and froze.

    That said, I make far more boxed pasta dishes than I'd like for lunches - though I always add veggies to them - somehow that makes me feel like it makes it better...

    -Ann Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do make my own dough ahead of time, sometimes, too. I should have remembered that :) I always add veggies to the box dinners I make, too. I don't Brendan even knows that Mac and cheese doesn't usually have peas in it.

    ReplyDelete