Saturday, July 4, 2009

Risotto

When I decided I was going to blog about Risotto, I didn't realize how completely unquotable it is and that it doesn't rhyme with much. Oh well, at least it tastes good!

Risotto is a creamy rice dish. It is not necessarily creamy because of added milk, but because of how you make it. I've seen recipes for Risotto where you basically cook the rice and then saute some ingredients, then add the rice and some milk. That is not really Risotto. Some recipes talk about how Risotto is labor intensive. They are also inaccurate. It is actually pretty simply, and very tasty!

Risotto is an Italian dish dating back to the 1500s that has four basic components; without these, you don't really have Risotto.

First, Italian rice such as Arborio. You need a rice that can absorb a lot of liquid to give off a creamy starch while keeping its shape. The inexpensive rice you buy in large bags at the grocery store will result in paste if you try making Risotto with it.

Second, sauteed vegetables. Onions are a must, finely diced. A popular addition is mushrooms, but there really isn't a limit. Pumpkin Risotto was mentioned in another blog I read...I hope to be trying that soon. I make a Risotto with grated carrots that goes really well with pork chops.

Third, broth. Risotto is not made with just water, but rather with broth that you add gradually.

Fourth, the flavoring ingredient. This can be the sauteed vegetables if they are flavorable enough, but it is often herbs, spices, or even wine.

My favorite Risotto recipe, found at https://www.usarice.com/index.php?option=com_recipe&view=recipe&id=1098&Itemid=233 uses water, broth, and wine. This is a very basic recipe, and the reason I like it so much is that I can add from there. I can also subtract from it, like removing the half and half for additions that wouldn't do well with cream, like Asian flavors.

Once you have a basic recipe for Risotto, the only thing that can limit you is your own taste.

More good Risotto recipes:

Risotto with Asparagus:
http://www.annamariavolpi.com/risotto_asparagus.html

Risotto Bolognese:
http://www.italiantraditionalfood.com/risotto_bolognese.html

Risotto Milanese - this a drier, more traditional Risotto:
http://www.italiantraditionalfood.com/risotto_milanese.html

Goda del vostro alimento!

2 comments:

  1. I love a good risotto, but it's such a winter dish for me that I never make it in the summer when there are so many great veggies to experiment with. You may have inspired me to change that. Mine always has broth and wine and water, plus butter and grated cheese added at the end, but I've never tried adding cream. One of my favorites is to poach a white fish with a little wine and herbs and then stir it in to risotto at the very end (leaving out the cheese).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, risotto! We make that a lot, ususally with some green beans and parmesan in it, served with some nice salmon. I have actually managed an OK risotto with short grain white rice (we buy our rice by the 20 lb bag at the Asian groceries, Kohuko Rose or some such), but yeah, arborio is the best.

    ReplyDelete